The Fulham Bilingual English

The Fulham Bilingual

A partnership between Holy Cross Catholic Primary and L'école Primaire Marie d'Orliac

Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English Life at The Fulham Bilingual English

School offer for SEND

The governing bodies of maintained schools and maintained nursery schools and the proprietors of academy schools must publish information on their websites about the implementation of the governing body’s or the proprietor’s policy for pupils with SEN.

Holy Cross, Fulham Bilingual SenCo: Jenny Cliff

Please click here to see our SEND information Report

Please click here to see our SEND Policy

Please click here to see our Accessibility Plan

Please click here to see our SEND Jargon Buster

What is a Special Educational Need (SEN)? The SEN Code of Practice is a legal  UK government document which provides guidance on the special educational needs  and disability (SEND) system for children and young people aged 0 – 25.  In this  document, SEN is identified as when a child requires support which is additional to,  or  different from other children of the same age or developmental stage.

All schools, including ours, provide regular additional support for small groups and  occasionally individuals, to help them to catch up with different aspects of their  learning. For example, in a CP class there will normally be some children  participating  in a ‘Catch up Phonics’ programme.  Children involved in these regular  groups would not necessarily be defined as SEN.  

If, in order to learn successfully, a child continues to need focussed additional support  or continues to need different provision (for example a modified curriculum), despite  the usual benefit of good quality teaching and normal small group support, then it is  possible that they may be identified as having a Special Educational Need.

Special Educational Needs are broadly defined in the following categories: 

  • Communication and Interaction needs
  • Cognition and Learning needs
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

What happens if I think my child has SEN and is enrolled via Holy Cross?

  1. First, please make an appointment to discuss your concerns with the class teacher.
  2. If you agree that there are signs of SEN, the school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator), will be available to meet with you to talk over your concerns, as well as to observe your child and make recommendations for provision.  
  3. Appropriate steps will be put in place to support your child. For example, if they are identified as having difficulty following instructions, these could be broken down for them into smaller steps and they could be provided with additional supportive visuals.
  4. If it is agreed that the SEN need is significant, then with your permission, the SENCO will make referrals to outside professionals for further support and advice. At this point your child will be added to the SEN register.
  5. Recommendations provided by the professionals will be put into place in school. 
  6. Any additional provision will be reviewed termly by the class teacher and/or SENCO, so that we can evaluate the impact.
  7. If, despite putting additional provision into place, we are unable to meet your child’s needs, you may be invited to discuss making a request for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This document looks in depth at a child’s needs so that a structured plan of support can be developed and implemented. EHCPs are designed to support the needs of children with significant SEN.
  8. If a child is awarded an EHCP they will be provided with additional support in school which may take the form of provision of particular equipment, particular therapies (e.g. Speech and Language Therapy), small group work or a 1:1 learning support assistant (LSA). The provision outlined in the plan will be tracked and reviewed once per year at the Annual Review.
  9. The SENCO can also provide support with secondary transition for children with an EHCP and other children on the SEN register.

What outside professional services are available?

These include:

Speech and Language Therapy - This service works with children who are experiencing difficulty with one of more of the following: expressive language (spoken); receptive language (spoken); emotional regulation; social skills; physical difficulties related to speech e.g. stammering, pronunciation.

Educational Psychology – This service is focussed on understanding the barriers to a child’s learning. They can provide a clear indication of a child’s cognitive skills, both verbal and non-verbal, as well as supporting children with emotional needs.  

Occupational Therapy – This service can support children who have difficulties with motor functioning, whether this is fine motor skills such as handwriting, or gross motor skills such as spatial awareness. They can also support children who have severe SEN with ‘life-skills’ such as dressing and eating. 

Autism Outreach – this service provides highly skilled professionals who are able to observe children with a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in school, and advise us on how to best meet their needs within the setting.

Sensory Outreach Team – this service provides specialist professionals who are able to come into school and advise us on how best to support children with visual or hearing impairment.

CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service) – This is a National Health Service (NHS) based service, however if your child has a need which is presenting in school, we can support you with a referral for therapy.  They work with a wide range of different needs. A few examples would be: selective mutism (children who do not speak at all in school), to children who suffer from excessive anxiety, to children with significant mental health disorders.

The Cheyne Clinic – Multi-disciplinary assessments for children with suspected social communication needs, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

NB If your child has suspected dyslexia, we are unable to fund referrals for a diagnostic assessment. We ensure that we have ‘dyslexia friendly’ practice happening in all classrooms and will put extra measures in place to help dyslexic children to independently improve their reading and writing skills.

Please also look at the Hammersmith and Fulham Local SEN Offer for further information, advice and support. Go to and search ‘SEND local offer.’